Iconic genie Shantae is back in her most thrilling adventure yet! The award-winning 2D platforming series levels-up to stunning new heights thanks to an eye-popping new graphical style, an infectious soundtrack and incredible new game features. Transform into different creatures, danceIconic genie Shantae is back in her most thrilling adventure yet! The award-winning 2D platforming series levels-up to stunning new heights thanks to an eye-popping new graphical style, an infectious soundtrack and incredible new game features. Transform into different creatures, dance through dynamic, danger-filled stages, complete quests for friends and face-off against awesome screen-filling bosses in an action-packed thrill ride without equal.
* The complete package! -- This Ultimate Edition contains the award-winning Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, plus three major expansions - Pirate Queen's Quest DLC, Friends To The End DLC and Costume Mode DLC -- all in one bumper package!
* Day One Edition bonuses! -- Also includes the essential Shantae: Half-Genie Hero artbook, and the toe-tapping, 30-song Risky Beats soundtrack CD!
* Incredible visuals! -- Eschewing the series' former pixel art look, 2D characters and 3D worlds combine seamlessly in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero for the most beautiful platformer yet.
* Peerless adventuring! -- Revisit stages with new transformation abilities and morph into a wacky range of creatures (elephants! crabs! mice!) to uncover deeply hidden secrets and unexplored areas.
* Play as the full gang! -- Shantae's got company! Take control of popular co-stars Sky, Bolo, Rottytops and even series antagonist Risky Boots herself, and use each character's unique skills to journey through new storylines and scenarios long after Shantae's quest is over!… Expand
NF MagazineSep 5, 2018A treasure trove of tantalizing trials for players of every possible persuasion. [Issue #34 – July/August 2018, p.72]
Aug 15, 2018As a whole, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition is literally the complete package for fans of the series and genre enthusiasts. It's not the best platformer around, but it is a fun journey, especially with the additional DLC characters. I wish the developer would've embraced the Metroidvania aspects more, gotten more creative with some platforming segments, and included a few more environments for the DLC, but there is not much else I can hold against this truly fun platformer.
Feb 22, 2019This is a excellent game for this one who love platform games. Fantastic graphics with good music create an amazing experience. Mechanics areThis is a excellent game for this one who love platform games. Fantastic graphics with good music create an amazing experience. Mechanics are just great. For bad things in my opinion is replaying the same levels too many times. In Ultimate version you have some other stories to discover and and they are also remarkable.… Expand
Mar 24, 2019A great platformer game with excellent graphics and gameplay. The Ultimate Edition is a bonus since it adds different ways to play the gameA great platformer game with excellent graphics and gameplay. The Ultimate Edition is a bonus since it adds different ways to play the game and extra story. Highly recommended if you are a platformer fan.… Expand
Jun 29, 2018This game is a good jump n run with great visuals, good controls and nice soundtrack.
The main campain is pretty short but combined with theThis game is a good jump n run with great visuals, good controls and nice soundtrack.
The main campain is pretty short but combined with the other modes you will get a solid play time for this.
But if you played Shantae Pirate's Curse then you will realize that they made some steps backward, for example exploration here is more like super mario, Pirate's Curse was more like Metroid in exploration. Also the character interaction were better in Pirate's Curse.
But overall it is a good game and worth your time.… Expand
Jun 22, 2018I've been a long running fan of the series and I was blown away with the original GBC and had great fun with the DS and 3DS installments. ForI've been a long running fan of the series and I was blown away with the original GBC and had great fun with the DS and 3DS installments. For this game, Wayforward has achieved great visuals, animations, controls and sound but the gameplay feels a bit behind the other games.
The stages are short and pretty lineal and you can identify the location of most the collectibles pretty easily so you can get back once you have the required upgrades but the lack of a map and the amount of times you have to revisit each stage can become tedious.
The added DLC content helps expanding the duration so you can get over 5 hours (maybe up til 10 if you go for 100%), but the stages are the same only with different mechanics.
The worst thing has to be the spanish translation. It just doesn't makes sense, it's porrly translated and puts you off the (simple) story.
It's a good game, though.… Expand
May 26, 2018Good:
- Fantastic soundtrack that excels with a variety of genres
- Great art style and smooth animations - Uses foreground, background,Good:
- Fantastic soundtrack that excels with a variety of genres
- Great art style and smooth animations
- Uses foreground, background, and 3D space very effectively
- Runs perfectly on the Switch
- Switching between forms is tedious, but it does add a lot of gameplay variety to an otherwise straightforward platformer
- Boss fights are pretty imaginative, but being able to heal yourself in the middle of battle mitigates any real challenge
- The DLC that comes with the Ultimate Edition adds some nice gameplay variation, but it really just boils down to running through the same stages, fighting through the same enemies, and beating the same bosses that are found throughout the campaign
- Replaying the same levels over and over again to find secrets and progression items gets real old, real fast
- The currency system is very easily exploitable
- The story is all over the place; plays out as a series of seperate segments rather than a linear journey
- The hint system is close to useless
- Very weak final boss
Jan 29, 2019This was my first exposure to the series, I had been recommended it by a few people and had some money to drop, but holy crap what the heckThis was my first exposure to the series, I had been recommended it by a few people and had some money to drop, but holy crap what the heck were they thinking? Why make a platformer with the core mechanic being "STOP!!!!!!!" why put such a focus on character writing if you aren't going to make a cohesive story, and after doing some research I also found out that all the extra modes in this game WEREN'T EVEN AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH AND WERE SEPARATE DLC... this game was already short enough as it is, but holy crap it's unforgivable to release a game like this.
If I were to identify the biggest problem, it's gotta be the main mechanic, the transformation system is such a mess that I can't believe a series could've existed for nearly 20 years using this mechanic. Such a pace breaking mechanic with so little application that I can't even fathom what the idea was behind it... if that's what the rest of this series is like, I don't see this series deserving a 6 let alone an 84.
I later tried Pirate's Curse as some Shantae fans said that game is great, but god dang it didn't grab me in, guess this series just isn't for me.… Expand