- Summary: X4: FOUNDATIONS, the long awaited sequel in the successful X series, brings our most sophisticated universe SIMULATION ever. Fly every ship, EXPLORE space or manage an empire; TRADE, FIGHT, BUILD and THINK carefully, while you embark on an epic journey.
Dec 18, 2018If you dream of a single-player Star Citizen, or loved games like Freelancer, then this space sandbox will be a breath of fresh air in a much too sparsely populated genre. However, even though X4 is more accessible than X1–X3, it’s not a casual game. You have to work to figure out the mechanics behind Foundations, and if you put in the time, you’ll be rewarded with an experience that can last 100 hours or more.
Dec 28, 2018Foundations is more of the same niche-scratching space exploration from previous iterations with a more immersive feel and I can't wait to dive back into my personal galaxy. For those that have been watching the X series from the outside, Foundations is a great entry point, provided you meet the beefy system requirements.
Dec 25, 2018X4: Foundations is a far superior game to the last outing and is already on the right path to success, thanks to Egosofts diligent work in fixing issue s and enhancing the game. However, in its current state, it's still lacking core elements that help to make the game what it could be. Thanks to a broken in-game economy and an almost non-existent story, it can force you down paths and become boring, quickly. However, improvements to the war system has nullified this to an extent. It's a game on the rise and one to keep an eye on, likely worth buying in the near future.
Mar 5, 2019Just as its name says, this game is a great foundation for a really massive and great open world sandbox space adventure, where it's your choice to write your own destiny and play any way you want. But the massive and game breaking bugs simply stop players from delving more into it.
Dec 19, 2018Posso capire i Bug che tanto poi verranno corretti, posso capire chi ancora trema quando sente la parola Rebirth, ma un gioco del generePosso capire i Bug che tanto poi verranno corretti, posso capire chi ancora trema quando sente la parola Rebirth, ma un gioco del genere merita la totale eccellenza del 10 anche solo per l'idea che ci sta dietro, le infinite possibilita' di approccio, i Dlc che arriveranno e lo renderanno ancora piu' indimenticabile, la storia incredibile che porta con se' sin dal primo capitolo. E poi c' un universo da esplorare, razze aliene da scoprire, combattimenti navali, un impero da costruire, commerciare, minare, puoi mettere su una flotta, invadere settori, scatenare guerre, diventare un pirata, poi sederti comodo a comando della tua Carrier, dare ordini a tuoi subordinati, e godere il panorama mentre intorno a te c'e un universo vivo e in continua espansione. Ma che altro volete? Qui siamo oltre qualsiasi altra cosa qualsiasi altro gioco possa anche solo pensare ed immaginare di offrire. Date tempo e fiducia a questi sviluppatori, finiranno per portare un capolavoro.… Expand
Dec 1, 2018It seems egosoft has learned a tremendous lesson after the failure that was x-rebirth.
The game play functions so much missed in the previousIt seems egosoft has learned a tremendous lesson after the failure that was x-rebirth.
The game play functions so much missed in the previous game as for instance space legs and flying any ship have been brought into the game.
graphical wise it looks good and the performance is decent for a small team like this.
all in all i think egosoft did a great job.… Expand
Dec 4, 2018TL;DR : the reports about bugs are just propaganda by Elite Dangerous fan boys or by those that refuse to learn the game. X games are aTL;DR : the reports about bugs are just propaganda by Elite Dangerous fan boys or by those that refuse to learn the game. X games are a simulation and as such require you to be intelligent.
X4:F is best thought of as X:Rebirth v2. It has the features that made the classic X-series great like able to pilot multiple ships; fleets; fleet commands; wingman; gates; auto pilots; whilst also having some of the good features in X:R like a more modern look. Station scanning is still there but is no longer a requirement. Gone is the requirement that you have to dock and rely on the awkward FPS walking sim to do all trading. Once you dock you can do trading from your cockpit and later if you have a trading computer can do so from space and even tell your fleet to go pick it up.
The part I love the most is the map. It is fantastic. The ability to look for best buy-sell just by applying powerful filters and zooming out the map is very efficient, fast and a fresh take on doing trading.… Expand
Nov 30, 2018Its a typical Egosoft launch. If you have played any of their other games, you know what this means in regards to bugs. However, its milesIts a typical Egosoft launch. If you have played any of their other games, you know what this means in regards to bugs. However, its miles ahead of X Rebirth at launch. Egosoft took what they learned from that terrible game and has moved forward in the right direction again. The ship diversity could be better, but overall I enjoy this game. I look forward to this game being on par with X3 TC or AP after a few months patching. At that point I am confident this will be an 8 or 9/10.… Expand
Dec 4, 2018I was told that this is a very tranquil space survival game. But it feels very little intuitive. There are rather poor tutorials and it doesI was told that this is a very tranquil space survival game. But it feels very little intuitive. There are rather poor tutorials and it does feel very lost. Oh and for some reason i can fly through parts of space stations, while i bounce off others.
Actually i am not so sure what to make of it. I got pretty bored after 10 minutes and was fighting with myself another 30.
Visually it looks nice... it just does not feel like it is telling a comprehensive and engaging story. So far - it feels like a "no mans sky" with less cartoonish graphics and about as little to do as there.… Expand
Nov 30, 2018TL;DR: Don't bother and forget this game for a couple of years, because only after such a long time this crappy MESS of a game may probablyTL;DR: Don't bother and forget this game for a couple of years, because only after such a long time this crappy MESS of a game may probably become worthwile (same as with X Rebirth).
For those that want details why it's bad:
1) Optimization and performance are unacceptable. I run the game on overclocked Ryzen 1700X, overclocked GTX 1080 Ti, fast DDR4 RAM and from an M.2 SSD. FPS drops around busy hubs are MASSIVE - sometimes it drops to 20 FPS while the CPU and GPU aren't even loaded beyond 50% mark. Vsync is broken no matter what options I choose in the game or Nvidia control panel - I often become capped at 60 FPS while my display refresh rate is actually 100 Hz.
2) The game may crash if you're simply changing gfx settings or saving your progress! In a brief two hours of testing the game I've already encountered some bugs: when jumping through superhighway I got carried thousands of kilometers away from the exit point into empty space. Or I've seen AI ships, especially medium-sized like freighters, ramming stations without any damage and then slowly clipping through them. Or you can't load your savegames from menu after the game has crashed, you actually have to start a new game first and then your savegames show up. I'm pretty sure the game has much more bugs.
3) The anti-aliasing options in the game are inadequate. SSAA in 2019, seriously? The devs were high on pot? Nowadays something like TXAA + post-process AA options are an industry standard. The FXAA has terrible quality and SSAA/MSAA have unacceptable performance impact which worsenses the already bad performance of the game. As a result X4 looks like an ugly pixelated jagged edges mess on my 27'' 1440p display.
4) This game mechanics-wise is much closer to the stillborn X Rebirth rather than kosher/halal X3 series. Why spend so much time for developing all those station hangars, landing pads and decks which you can traverse on foot and interact with computer panels or randomized NPCs? It's still generic as hell, it's a waste of playtime, disk space, RAM and computing power that contributes to performance drops around those hangars. The X3 was amazing without this stupid attempt to be a Star Citizen jack of all trades game. A freaking station menu with animated backgrounds for hangar, bar, station administration and etc. like in Freelancer or Galaxy On Fire 2 would have been a much better solution from the standpoint of development time, performance and gameplay! We want a space game, not a "Space Hangar Simulator 2018" yet another crazy German sim. The highways and superhighways have returned and I also think they're a pretty questionable mechanic. The "mass traffic" around certain big stations is also back and says hello to lags and useless screen clutter. Speaking about screen clutter, the interface is on the same level of confusion as X Rebirth.
5) So far there is no campaign. Like at all. So it seems because we get no cutscenes establishing any plotline set-ups and missions. Pretty much like it was in X-Tension (the first X game I ever played). That makes matters even worse because campaign is needed for two things: to ground and immerse us into the universe through characters and their interactions (X2 - The Threat, X3 - Reunion and X Rebirth tried to do that with varying success); and to gradually guide players through core mechanics of the game by giving them corresponding tasks and teaching how to do them, preferably in the immersive fashion without breaking the fourth wall. Now let's remember that sometimes games tell us thrilling stories that touch our hearts and/or minds (I'm pretty sure that Helge T. Kautz who writes the X books and seems to have created most of the X lore could have written some amazing plot stuff for this game). But no, there's zero, nada, nothing of that here, just a pure messy sandbox you're being thrown into. Which logically brings us to the next problem.
6) Tutorials in this game are simple text messages. This is literally the most lazy and unconvenient way to make a tutorial for such a complex game.
So far I would give it a 3/10 but the score may improve after patching.… Expand
Jan 17, 2019This game released in a terrible state, and the developers have done absolutely nothing to fix game breaking bugs. This is totally brokenThis game released in a terrible state, and the developers have done absolutely nothing to fix game breaking bugs. This is totally broken software, and the company has obviously employed people to come online and fake news it.
Core features like AI pathfinding do not work. The economy is broken. Wars do not happen. Look at the Steam forums for the incredibly long bug lists.
Egosoft shipped a game right before Christmas that was totally unplayable, took everyone's money, then went AWOL for 2 months "on holiday", presumably on our dime.
This is another Bethesda. This is another Hello Games.
Please don't buy this company's software. Instead, punish them into bankruptcy. Let's use the market to get better space games by not supporting awful studios releasing garbage.… Expand