Last Friday's album releases
One of 2017's most welcome reunions comes from Modesto's finest indie rock band, who split up in 2006 after releasing four excellent albums. Frontman Jason Lytle continued to release material under his own name (and others), but little was heard from Grandaddy until they reunited in 2012 for a few live dates. Last fall, unexpectedly, the band released a pair of new songs—their first new material in a decade—and one of those tracks (and 11 others) can be found on the band's well-reviewed new album.
The English artist's third album (which, like its two predecessors, takes a mathematical symbol as its title), contains a dozen new songs in its standard version and 16 in a deluxe release. Critics seem to like it a bit better than Sheeran's past releases.
Additional new releases last week
- Alyeska Crush EP
- Mark Barrott Music for Presence EP
- Tyler Bates and Joel J. Richard John Wick: Chapter 2 OST
- The Besnard Lakes The Besnard Lakes Are The Divine Wind EP
- Blanck Mass World Eater
- Bleached Can You Deal? EP
- Bombadil Fences
- Bush Black and White Rainbows
- Chants Amethyst Dust EP
- Chicano Batman Freedom Is Free
- Guy Clark The Best of the Dualtone Years 2xCD
- Del Paxton All Day, Every Day, All Night
- Jessica Dennison + Jones Jessica Dennison + Jones
- Findlay Forgotten Pleasures
- Frànçois & The Atlas Mountains Solide Mirage
- Jenn Grant Paradise
- Colin Hay Fierce Mercy
- Ibibio Sound Machine Uyai
- Junius Eternal Rituals for the Accretion of Light
- Tim Kasher No Resolution
- Third solo set from the Cursive/Good Life member
- Khalid American Teen
- Kneebody Anti-Hero
- Christine Leakey Wanderlust Wishing Well
- Sondre Lerche Pleasure
- Lily and Horn Horse Lily on Horn Horse
- Lusine Sensorimotor
- Holly Macve Golden Eagle
- Methyl Ethel Everything Is Forgotten
- Middle Children Earth Angel
- Minus The Bear Voids
- Nadia Reid Preservation
- Operator Music Band Puzzlephonics I & II
- Peter Bjorn and John Breakin' Point [Deluxe]
- Reissue of 2016 album adds eight bonus tracks
- The Rascals The Complete Singles A's & B's 2xCD
- Save Ferris Checkered Past EP
- Senses Fail In Your Absence
- Shit and Shine Total Shit!
- Sleaford Mods English Tapas
- J Sutta I Say Yes
- Talaboman The Night Man
- Collaboration between John Talabot and Axel Boman
- Temples Volcano
- WHY? Moh Lhean
- A Will Away Here Again
- Within the Ruins Halfway Human
Coming Friday 3/10 (notable releases):
- Daymé Arocena Cubafonía LISTEN (NPR)
- David Bazan Care LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Out Tuesday 3/7
- Bonny Doon Bonny Doon LISTEN (Hype Machine)
- Buzzcocks Time's Up
- First official release of 1976 demos album previously available as a bootleg
- Damaged Bug Bunker Funk
- New solo album from Thee Oh Sees frontman John Dwyer
- Hater You Tried LISTEN (Hype Machine)
- Hurray For The Riff Raff The Navigator LISTEN (NPR)
- Jay Som Everybody Works LISTEN (NPR)
- Valerie June The Order of Time LISTEN (NPR)
- Magnetic Fields 50 Song Memoir 5xCDLISTEN (NPR; one disc added each day this week)
- Laura Marling Semper Femina
- R. Stevie Moore and Jason Falkner Make It Be LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Nathan Fake Providence
- Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever The French Press EP
- Porter Ray Watercolor LISTEN (Stereogum)
- The Shins Heartworms
- Elliott Smith Either/Or: Expanded Edition 2xCD
- Expanded reissue of the late singer-songwriter's breakthrough third album adds five live tracks and four rarities
- Soundgarden Ultramega OK
- Rerelease of band's 1988 debut features a completely different mix of the album and adds six demo recordings
- Marty Stuart And His Fabulous Superlatives Way Out West LISTEN (NPR)
- Tennis Yours Conditionally
- Thelma Thelma LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Various Beauty and the Beast OST 2xCD
- Paul Weller Jawbone: Music From The Film OST
- Full album release calendar >
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- TRACK "We Chase the Sound" streaming at YouTube.
- Alex G
- TRACK "Witch" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "3WW" streaming at Spotify.
- Iggy Azalea
- TRACK "Can't Lose" streaming at Spotify.
- Michelle Branch
- TRACK "Best You Ever" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Hypnotised" (from the upcoming Kaleidoscope EP, due June 2) streaming at YouTube.
- Rob Crow
- TRACK "Just Making Time At This Point" streaming at Bandcamp.
- Father John Misty
- TRACK "Total Entertainment Forever" streaming at YouTube.
- Juliana Hatfield
- TRACK "Impossible Song" streaming at Stereogum.
- The Juan MacLean
- TRACK "Can You Ever Really Know Somebody" streaming at Spotify.
- Mark Lanegan Band
- TRACK "Beehive" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Laura Marling
- TRACK "Nothing, Not Nearly" streaming at YouTube.
- Thurston Moore
- TRACK "Cease Fire" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Portugal. The Man
- TRACK "Feel It Still" streaming at YouTube.
- Self Esteem [new Mikal Cronin and Kim Gordon project]
- TRACK "War/Golden God" streaming at Bandcamp.
- The Shins
- TRACK "Painting a Hole" streaming at YouTube.
- Trans Am
- TRACK "Alles Verboten" streaming at Spotify.
- TRACK "Daisy" streaming at SoundCloud.
TRACK "You're Welcome" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Diamonds in Cups" streaming at SoundCloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Jidenna (Colbert), Lady Antebell Biv Devoe (Kimmel), New Kids on the Block (Corden), Sinkane (Conan)
- Tuesday: Hippo Campus (Conan), LeAnn Rimes (Kimmel)
- Wednesday: Spoon (Kimmel), Sting (Corden)
- Thursday: Dawes (Colbert), Future (Kimmel), Milky Chance (Conan), Spoon (Corden)
- Saturday: Lorde (Saturday Night Live)
The latest music videos
Lorde, "Green Light":
The New Pornographers, "High Ticket Attractions":
Ariel Pink & Weyes Blood, "Tears On Fire":
The Flaming Lips, "There Should Be Unicorns":
Moon Duo, "Lost in Light":
The Dandy Warhols, "Thick Girls Knock Me Out (Richard Starkey)":
Future Islands, "Ran":
Pallbearer, "I Saw the End":
Bruno Mars, "That's What I Like":
Neil Young, "Peace Trail":
Ariana Grande and John Legend, "Beauty and the Beast":
Joey Bada$$, "Land of the Free":
In the studio / coming soon
- Lorde's highly anticipated sophomore album has been titled Melodrama and it should arrive this summer, though there's still no official date. The Jack Antonoff-produced lead single, "Green Light," is already receiving a warm reception (a video is streaming above).
- Roger Waters will release his first solo studio album in 25 years on May 19th. Is This The Life We Really Want? features production from frequent Radiohead collaborator Nigel Godrich. Watch an album preview video.
- Alt-J have set a June 9 release for their next album, Relaxer.
- A new Alex G album, Rocket, arrives on May 19th.
- Wavves' new LP You’re Welcome is also due on May 19th.
- What Now, the second album from Sylvan Esso, will be out on April 28th.
- Girlpool's second album, Powerplant, will be released May 12th via Anti-.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.